Career Fair 101
If you have never attended a career fair, they can often be awkward or uncomfortable. EMC sponsored our “College to Career” Workshop early this week to help ease nerves and prepare our candidates for our upcoming Partner career fair. Through role play demonstrations and sharing personal experiences, EMC did a fantastic job ensuring our candidates know exactly what to expect and how to prepare. Here are some general tips they left us with on Monday night.
- Try not to come up in pairs, its a tough dynamic. The recruiter is less likely to remember you, unless you are independent from other candidates.
- Project your voice and leave a reasonable amount of space between you and the recruiter. Standing too close or talking softly can make the situation uncomfortable for the recruiter.
- Come prepared. Have something to say and make sure to do your research on the company.
- When approaching the recruiter, be sure to have a good elevator pitch. This is the recruiter’s first impression of you, so you will want it to be memorable!
- Remember that it’s not social hour. Separate yourself from the crowd by talking to companies rather than other candidates.
- Be yourself. You want to find a company that is a perfect fit for you, so act natural!
A big thanks to EMC for the awesome tips, and good luck to all our candidates at our Partner career fair next Monday, September 22, 2014!